Thursday 18 July 2013

Made a CFGF cake!

This weekend is Mine and my Grans Birthday... as usual I am making the cake, I wanted to try a CFGF cake so my son could have some and I have to say it tastes ok just looks a bit weird. It is heavy and thick not soft and fluffy like a cake made with plain flour. I bought ASDA own Free From Flour and casein free butter (expensive) and then eggs and sugar (Demerara). Just made like a normal cake with a different texture. Another thing I found was food colouring wouldn't take.... I have done this with other sponges with no problems but with this cake it just wouldn't change colour. I'll have to do some kitchen science to try and work this out???
 
As you can see in the picture below, before the icing went on but covered in apricot jam it will not raise much and looks like pancakes more then cake, that's why I made a third layer.
 
When cutting the cake to shape my son tried some of the sponge and seemed to like it as he then tried to climb on the kitchen side to get more, so hid the cake in the fridge. At least I know if no one else will eat it Bronson will. 

Looks a lot better now the icing is on, it was so fun making this with Bronson although he ate more icing then he put on the cake......
 
 The cake itself wasn't very nice, I have decided from now on I am going to make a cake from gluten free rice crispy cereal and melted marshmallow, this can be shaped into any shape and would be perfect for a kids birthday. Sweet and fluffy not to heavy, and so easy!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment